Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bank of America Screwed Me Up

Bank of America really screwed me up in November of 2011. It is not fun to be stranded in a foreign country, on the other side of the world, with no money and a credit card that Bank Of America stopped in the middle of my trip.
  I have had a Bank of America credit card for many years, and have had no problems with it before. And, I have good credit. In fact, my bank told me I could borrow 5,000 bucks with only my signature. I don't owe anybody any money.
 In October of 2011, I called  Bank of America, I told them I was going to Asia, and I wanted to make sure I could use my credit card there. I told them what countries I was going to, and for how long.
 The person I talked to (who sounded like an American-at least) said no problem, and they would make a note of it. And, she thanked me for letting them know.
 I was in Laos when I tried to get some cash from an ATM, like I had been doing.  I tried 5 ATMs, and my card didn't work. Thankfully, I had my Chase credit card, which I was able to get money from, at a bank.
 If not for Chase, I would have had to call someone in Wyoming,  and ask them to send me money by Western Union.
 When I got home, I had a letter from Bank of America, saying that they stopped my card because of inactivity (that was the only card I normally used, and charged over $1,000 every month on it). And they said I had serious deliquency (they probably didn't like that I paid off my debt every month-completely).
 Bank of America got TARP money to bail them out, after THEIR irresponsible behavior. My taxes helped keep them in business, deserving or not. Then, they accused me of behavior similar to theirs.
 I now have a credit card from my local bank. If I have a problem, I can walk in the door and state my case. I won't be talking to someone in India.
 I don't support the leftist "Occupy Movement", but I agree with them on one thing: Banks, like Bank of America, should not be kept in business with our tax money.
 And, if they attack me for telling the truth, I will publish a copy of their letter on my Conservative Bill Sez blog. So, watch for it.

No comments: